I understand your observation. But how am I (or anyone for that matter) to
work around this? If I have a progam that is going to access content that is
stored remotely, or content from a repository, is it not impractical to
expect the content to be available from tomcat? How do developers work
around a situation to link or access content that is remote from the server
in which their web application is deployed?

Is there any way to let the content "pass through" using a configuration
file?

Thanks, and I appreciate your help.