Kimberly Begley wrote:
Hello - I'm using tomcat 5 and was wondering how session info is stored - is
it stored server side in memory? Can anyone point me to some documentation
about this?
Thanks,
Kimberly
A j2ee container normally stores all session information server side.

Depending on your connection type (stateless/http or statefull/https) the container will send a cookie to the client's webbrowser to keep the user's requests aligned with the session. The cookie won't contain any user information, just a unique id binding their browser instance to their current session.

You can send specific information back to the client in a cookie as well, but that would be an explicit operation of creating a cookie.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=&search=&q=tomcat+session+data&sa=Search