The default webpage does belong to the default application (the name
of that application is ROOT). If ROOT application is not deployed on
the server, there is no default page to be displayed.

See also,
http://wiki.eclipse.org/WTP_Tomcat_FAQ#If_I_start_my_Tomcat_server_and_try_to_display_Tomcat.27s_default_page.2C_why_do_I_see_a_directory_listing_or_404_error_page.3F
http://wiki.eclipse.org/WTP_Tomcat_FAQ#Why_can.27t_I_access_the_standard_Web_applications_in_my_Tomcat_server.3F

Also, look into
.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.wst.server.core/tmp0
in your workspace.