Hello,

I have searched the internet extensively and have not been able to find
an answer to my problem. I have a Virtual Private Server hosting account
pre configured with Tomcat 5.5.26. My goal is to have multiple domain
names, each with their own java app, served by this one instance of
Tomcat, and to be able to redeploy each app at any time without
restarting Tomcat. I've gotten through the first part, but am having
some strange behaivor regarding deployment.

For each Host in server.xml, both unpackWARs and autoDeploy are set to
true. When I place a .war file in the appBase directory as definied by
the Host, the app deploys, but the .war file doesn't expand. It seems
that the app is being run directly from the .war file. How is this
happening?

I have read that the .war will not unpack if the Context is in
server.xml. I took it out and moved it as suggested by the
documentation. Not only does the .war still not expand, the app is no
longer accessible.

Lastly, if I manually expand the .war file, and get rid of the .war file
itself, the app will not run regardless of where the Context is.

I should also mention that the appBase of each Host is the respective
domain's home directory rather than a directory under webapps.

I am running out of ideas. If anyone has any advice, I'd greatly
appreciate hearing it.

Thanks,
Vin