To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2008 3:24 PM
Subject: log4j problem

Hi,

I'm still trying to fix the problem with the welcome file not working, but
my logging going wrong has trumped that little problem.

I had it working fine using log4j - here's my properties file:

log4j.rootLogger=info, logfile
log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %p [%c] - <%m>%n
log4j.appender.logfile=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.logfile.File=C:/Tomcat 6.0/logs/sf.log
log4j.appender.logfile.MaxFileSize=1024KB
# Keep three backup files
log4j.appender.logfile.MaxBackupIndex=3
log4j.appender.logfile.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
#Pattern to output : date priority [category] - <message>line_separator
log4j.appender.logfile.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{ABSOLUTE} %5p %c{1}:%L -
%m%n

log4j.logger.com.starfriend=DEBUG

org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig = SEVERE
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig = SEVERE
org.apache.catalina.session.ManagerBase = SEVERE
org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener=SEVERE
log4j.logger.org.apache.catalina=SEVERE

This gave me just the logging I was after. After a reload, all that good, as
expected logging disappeared, and now I just get DEBUG output such as:

20:13:10,722 DEBUG WebappClassLoader:1238 -
loadClass(com.starfriend.astro.drawings.DrawingsController, false)
20:13:10,723 DEBUG WebappClassLoader:1254 -   Returning class from cache

and

DEBUG HostConfig:1088 - Checking context[/host-manager] reload resource
C:\Tomcat 6.0\conf\web.xml
20:20:34,881 DEBUG HostConfig:1088 - Checking context[/host-manager] reload
resource C:\Tomcat 6.0\webapps\host-manager\META-INF\context.xml
20:20:34,883 DEBUG WebappClassLoader:704 - modified()
20:20:34,941 DEBUG ManagerBase:680 - Start expire sessions StandardManager
at 1212261634941 sessioncount 0
20:20:34,942 DEBUG ManagerBase:688 - End expire sessions StandardManager
processingTime 1 expired sessions: 0

Mb's of the stuff.

I've had this problem before and it went away without my finding out the
cause. Now that same issue is back. I have reloaded, stopped and started
Tomcat, looked all around for files that shouldn't be there, but no luck.
Has anyone come across this error before?

Thanks,

John