Correct. With regard to URI encoded GET requests, what you get from request.getParameter() is already decoded for %nn character encoding among others. No need to decode it again.

--David

Mark H. Wood wrote:

Sorry, I didn't fully specify the problem.  I do refer to
URI-(en|de)coding, not to character encoding issues.

So, if I've understood the answers I've seen so far, the value
returned by getParameter() should *not* be subjected to URI-decoding,
because it has already been URI-decoded and doing so again would lead to
trouble with a parameter value which, before URI-encoding, contained a
percent character.

I'm debugging code we got from elsewhere which URI-decodes stuff it
got from getParameter(), and as I am not very familiar with the code
in question and am only a beginner in working with servlet code myself
I want to be very sure there is not a good reason for these calls.  I
think now I'm sure enough to take them out.  Thanks!