"David Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I'm seeing that as well.  The root user jsvc process is parent to the
> tomcat user jsvc process.  You'll also notice from analysis of netstat's
> output that the tomcat user jsvc process is the only one listening to
> ports.  The one running as root is just there to spawn the true tomcat
> process with access to privileged ports.  I'm sure the root user jsvc
> process is also the one that takes a kill signal and sends a normal
> shutdown command to the other.

Yeah, this is pretty much right.  Only the un-privilged child will handle
incoming requests.  The privileged parent just sits there and waits for
signals normally.  It is the same way that Apache httpd works.  It works
around the fact that most JVM vendors on *nix systems register their own
signal handler for SIGTERM and SIGHUP.