Bill Barker wrote:
You haven't given your O/S details, but yes, AJP will s*ck big time on older Linux kernals with this test. Older kernals can't handle having 1000+ threads active efficiently. You could try testing again with the APR and/or (experimental) NIO AJP Connectors. These usually get the difference down to somewhat acceptable.

However, using Apache+mod_jk just to increase performance is a myth, based on the state of Tomcat 8+ years ago ;). It will almost always be slower with any current version.
Yet until there's a Java equivalent of mod_jk/mod_proxy_ajp load balancing some of us are wed to Apache for that if no other reason.

I suspect it is possible to out-do Apache with Java in this capacity, but no such thing exists today.

Of course Apache 2.2's handling of authentication against multiple LDAPs, credential caching, etc -- all without extra work -- is also pretty nice [Tomcat does not yet have this last I checked...], but wouldn't by itself be sufficient justification for Apache in a primarily JSP/servlet environment.

--
Jess Holle