I saw that in the server.xml web.xml validation is disabled. And with
the comment:

Note: XML Schema validation will not work with Xerces 2.2

The thing is, I can't see any xerces library inside tomcat. I have
xerces 2.4 on my app, but I believe it doesn't matter my webapp lib.

Even in examples webapp it fails

13-Jun-2008 14:06:05 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Context [/examples] startup failed due to previous errors
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.xerces.impl.dv.dtd.DTDDVFactoryImpl.getBuiltInDV(Unknown
Source)

I'm using java 1.5.0_06-b05, on salaris.

Thanks
Emerson