I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question but I've
seen through the years that there are a lot of knowledgeable people
reading and responding.

1st. I'm running Tomcat 6.0.14 under Windows XP with Java 1.5.09.

2nd: My problem is not getting something working its trying to
understand what is happening to see if I can get it to work faster.

Basically, I have a web application that communicates with Teradata
under Tomcat using a DBCP pooled connection. In my context.xml file I
have:

<!-- Sample Database DataSource Configuration  for Teradata
-->

    <Resource

      name="jdbc/teradata1"

      factory="org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory"

      url="jdbc:teradata://adqaxp01/LOG=DEBUG,DATABASE=Mydb"

      driverClassName="com.ncr.teradata.TeraDriver"

      username="****"

      password="****"

      validationQuery="Select 1"

      type="javax.sql.DataSource"

      maxIdle="2"

      maxWait="5000"

      maxActive="4"

  />

Via JNDI we get the Resource object, get a connection, create a
statement, issue the statement, close the statement and then close the
connection. Everything works just fine. But looking at a Teradata
command log and then turning on LOG=DEBUG on the URL I see 2 things.

1st. Everytime we get a connection I see a "Select 1" followed by a
BT/Rollback being issued and

2nd: Everytime we close the connection I see an "Abort" followed by
multiple ET/Commit's being issued

I've seen similar things with other DB's and am now wondering if I have
a problem or is this the way it is designed to work?

Using connection pooling is it normal to issue the above commands when a
connection is obtained and closed? Is there something I can do to say
don't do it? Is it an Application error, Tomcat error or JDBC driver
error?

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks, John Katilie