----- Original Message ----- From: "Johnny Kewl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2008 12:13 PM
Subject: Re: Changing roles on the fly

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lyallex" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:30 AM
Subject: Changing roles on the fly

Hello

Tomcat 5.5.26
Java 1.5.0_15-b04

This question is about role based security and the dynamic
assignment/removal of roles.

I have a requirement to allow an user to add or remove certain roles
'on the fly'
Allowing a user to add a role is simple enough.

Is it? I'm not so sure.... when does Tomcat load up the tomcat-users.xml?
When it starts, for every servlet start up... I'm not sure?
ie if you change it, when does TC recognize it... I  wonder?

I tried it....
TC only seems to load up the tomcat-users.xml
on a re-start

So...  changing it on the fly does not seem possible...
I think you going to have to program the whole thing, ie the BASIC security yourself. If there is no other way, give me a yell, I got some do it yourself auth code somewhere.

The only real POJO Application Server.