Hi,
I'm new to this newsgroup and have a vexing problem.
I run tomcat using the startup script, for ex. /usr/share/tomcat5.5/bin
startup.sh and everything startsup with no errors, ie:

Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/share/tomcat5.5
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/share/tomcat5.5
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/share/tomcat5.5/temp
Using JRE_HOME:       /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun

but if I go to localhost:8180 a blank page is displayed with no errors in
catalina.out.
Here's the output from catalina.out when I startup tomcat as above:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# tail -f /usr/share/tomcat5.5/logs/catalina.out
Jun 23, 2008 5:56:50 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol start
INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8180
Jun 23, 2008 5:56:50 PM org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket init
INFO: JK: ajp13 listening on /0.0.0.0:8009
Jun 23, 2008 5:56:50 PM org.apache.jk.server.JkMain start
INFO: Jk running ID=0 time=0/58  config=null
Jun 23, 2008 5:56:50 PM org.apache.catalina.storeconfig.StoreLoader load
INFO: Find registry server-registry.xml at classpath resource
Jun 23, 2008 5:56:50 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 599 ms

As I said I get the blank page when going to localhost:8180, and nothing
added to catalina.out, so no help in figuring this problem out.

As a comparison, I get the normal index.html page displayed when I go to
/usr/local/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.14/bin and run the startup script there
and go to localhost:8080. (i have both tomcats installed. I'll explain more
on this later)
I did a search and there is actually no index.html page in my tomcat5.5
installation. I installed this version from the ubuntu(gutsy)  repositories
using apt-get.
The /usr/share/tomcat5.5/webapps directory is empty there whereas the other,
/usr/local/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.14/webapps/ROOT/index.html, isn't.
Not sure this matters, though.
It seems like the home directories for the 2 tomcat installations are set up
a bit differently:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# ls /usr/share/tomcat5.5/
bin  common  conf  doc  logs  server  shared  temp  webapps  work

versus

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# ls /usr/local/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.14
bin   lib      logs    RELEASE-NOTES  temp     work
conf  LICENSE  NOTICE  RUNNING.txt    webapps

Now to the reason I'm using tomcat5.5 instead of the latest version.  I'm
trying to do web development using eclipse. I had to install eclipse using
apt-get also.
(After a week of trying to get the latest version of eclipse working from a
manual download, I gave up)
So I have eclipse 3.2.2 WTP with tomcat5.5 and I have a sample webapp that I
did using an eclipse tutorial, and everything seems to work,
 I can start tomcat server from eclipse with no errors, but the same thing
happens. When I go to load the jsp it's blank.
I am totally clueless on this one, so any ideas would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks,

Adam Posner