Stuart Caldwell wrote:
I know this may sound naïve but is it possible to have tomcat and apache
running off the same port - 8080.

I have iis running on port 80 and do not have another server to install apache
and tomcat.
TCP only allows one listener per port-IP combination.  It really doesn't
make sense to have more.  How would the OS decide which listener gets
the request?

Are you using Apache as a front end to Tomcat using mod_jk or some
other type of proxy?  If so, do you really need direct access to Tomcat?

I use Apache as a front end and route servlet/jsp requests to Tomcat via
mod_jk.  Apache is running on 80 but I've disabled the 8080 connector
to Tomcat.  There's no need for it since I can access Tomcat through
Apache.

If you do need direct access to Tomcat for some reason, is there some
reason you can't put it on another port like say 8081 or something?