dylanmac,

dylanmac wrote:
| Thanks for your response.  Unfortunately I am pretty green about all
this and
| it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Yeah, it takes some getting used to. There are many port numbers to
juggle and stuff like that. Once you get it working, it should all make
sense.

| When you say "better off using paths that are relative to the context
root"
| do you mean I shouldn't be using root-relative?

Right. Since Java makes it so easy to do context-relative paths, there's
basically no excuse for not doing it.

| What tools are available
| that will help me do this in the JSP (I am not using a templating system;
| these are just prototype sites I am building - not complicated).

JSTL (which is stndard these days) has the <c:url> tag which should
automatically make URLs that look like root-relative (e.g. those that
start with a /) into context-relative URLs without you having to do
anything at all. You also get url-rewriting for session tracking when
the client doesn't support cookies. Bonus!

| I read the advanced configuration section of running.txt and the connector
| part seemss straightofward but then it seems to require startup
variables at
| the command line.  I have Tomcat running as a service so setting it to run
| with a different $CATALINA_BASE is not obvious.

You may not have bin/catalina.sh (or .bat) in your distro (I've heard
that certain windows binary installs are missing these files, since the
service is the expected usage), so you probably haven't seen this
portion of it:

~        ...
~        -Dcatalina.base="$CATALINA_BASE" \
~        -Dcatalina.home="$CATALINA_HOME" \
~        ...

You should just be able to set catalina.base and catalina.home (JVM
properties) from the service configurator thing (tomcatw.exe maybe? I
don't do win32, sorry). Anyhow, just use the syntax shown above for
adding system properties or command-line arguments -- however the GUI
presents itself for configuring the service. Obviously, replace
$CATALINA_BASE with the actual path, etc. _HOME points to the actual
Tomcat install, while _BASE points to the separate instance you want to run.

You'll have to check back with someone else to figure out how to run
multiple win32 services like this. I've run out of win32 experience, here.

Good luck,