there is one criteria that I always use, and that is "user response time"
this can work for almost any webapp that has some sort of "real" user in front of it. 50 to 100ms would be excellent and very aggressive, but it depends on the app itself of course.
2-3 seconds for a complete page load is desirable

Filip

Leon Rosenberg wrote:
Hi all,

recently I was asked by someone to define performance requirements for
a site without even knowing it (the site).
The task was to deliver standard requirements valid for most sites (or
portal-like sites).
I answered that it's probably impossible without knowing the type of
media delivered, whether its web 2.0 or 1.0, and so on...
but I think as long as the webserver starts delivering content in
between 50 and 100 ms (measured at webserver) the site should be ok.

What do you think could be the site-independent performance criterion?

best regards
Leon