Try using shutdown.sh and startup.sh to start and stop Tomcat.

Walter

-----Original Message-----
From: Antonio Parolini [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2008 2:54 AM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Graceful shutdown

Hello,

We use Tomcat 5.5.23

Using the command "catalina.sh stop" interrupts abruptly any working
servlet threads and stop Tomcat.

Is there a way of shutting tomcat gracefully?

For me, an example of graceful shutdown would be:
1) The HTTP connector stop accepting new requests
2) Tomcat wait that all the servlet threads finish (without interrupting
them as it does today)
3) Shutdown the server

Thanks for your advises,

Antonio

NB: I've seen that jk2 connector did something about this, but we are
not using Apache as our front end.