Mark Thomas wrote:
Vangelis Katsikaros wrote:
I have Tomcat 5.0.27
That is old and unsupported. I'd move to a new version if you can.
Hi and thanks for the reply

I currently can't, since I don't know details about the web apps that already run and the risks of changing version. I would prefer to leave it as is for the moment.

But since I want the script to be inside $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT/dir1 I changed cgiPathPrefix to dir1/ . I also changed cgi servlet-mapping from /cgi-bin/* to *.cgi

Try cgiPathPrefix="" Tomcat will get the dir1 from the pathInfo so you don't need to specify it as part of the path prefix.
I tried both <param-value>""</> , <param-value>"dir1/"</> , <param-value>"dir1"</> but I still get 404.