Bajbutovic, Zoran schrieb:
You mean the number of threads inside Tomcat?
        We use prefork mod_jk, so basically it is not the number of
threads but rather the number of processes created by Apache. When the
number of processes (client connections) on Apache side reaches 252,
mod_jk cannot get responses from Tomcat and logs the errors I provided.

Similar problem is explained on this forum:

http://archives.devshed.com/forums/java-118/mod-jk-replacement-2154649.h
tml

However, you may see that I have specified MaxRequestsPerChild, together
with connectionTimeout for both mod_jk and Tomcat.

Hmmm, something doesn't really fit together. You configure MaxClients to 250, but you can have 252 parallel client connections and still get an answer from httpd?

I assume you set the 250 connections limit later.

Timeouts will ensure, that idle connections and the related threads get freed on both sides, and that we detect a problem earlier than without timeouts. What they can't fix, is if something on the Tomcat side, more precisely in your webapp gets stuck. So usually it is a good idea to get a thread dump when the problem arises, to check, if there are idle threads in Tomcat, or if they got all used up, e.g. waiting for database or whatever else.

Which version of mod_jk are you using?
Which version of httpd and Tomcat are you using?
Which platform?

I will post those later today.

Regards,

Rainer