Nikhil schrieb:
On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 2:52 PM, Rainer Jung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

To repeat two of my questions:

What do you expect to be the value of the 'REMOTE_USER' variable?

Do you expect something else, than what you get from
request.getRemoteUser()?

After I understand that, we can find an appropriate solution.

Regards,

Rainer

Hi Rainer,

REMOTE_USER variable value is always expected to be as set by the httpd
process and passed onto the tomcat.
Do you expect something else, than what you get from
request.getRemoteUser()?
No, but I would not want to have this method invoked everytime I want to
know a logged in account instead an already set (global)  variable value
(preferrably by httpd and passed onto the tomcat) would do.

OK. REMOTE_USER goes back to the times oF CGI. At that time the web server could only pass along information to the CGI process via environmnt variables, because it had to start an external process for doing CGI.

The servlet spec tries to make the same information available in the context of a java web container. The correct way of retrieving the name of the authenticated user from the container *is* request.getRemoteUser(). In java you would nearly always implement a "global variable" as a member of some object, which you retrieve via a getter function. request.getRemoteUser() is the right and standards conforming way to do it.

When the web container has a web server in front, e.g. Apache httpd and a connection component like mod_jk, usually the combination tries to hide the information, that the architecture is more complex, from the webapp developer. So Apache/mod_jk/Tomcat correctly configured provide the user name authenticated by httpd to the webapp in exactly the same way, as it would be seen without Apache and mod_jk. That way the developer doesn't have to know the details. So using request.gerRemoteUser() still is the correct way.

The only thing to configure is tomcatAuthentiction="false" in order to tell Tomcat to trust the authentication done by Apache and not try to do authentication itself.

Regards,

Rainer