start out by taking some servlet tutorials, if you understand servlets and web application archives (WAR) then tomcat wont be confusing anymore.

Filip

Deepak Mishra wrote:
hi, i am pretty new to tomcat. currently i have tomcat6 on ubuntu-linux.
i have pursued some books on tomcat , but they cant help me getting some concepts, they simply point to "using tomcat"
here is one of my doubts i got during database connection..

does tomcat have its own java compiler ?

PROOF THAT TC HAS A SEPERATE JAVA COMPILER
when i normally connect my simple jdbc program (not a web application), i have to set the CLASSPATH variable for locating the connector/J jar file. but when i am running a jsp in my web-app, which uses jdbc, CLASSPATH doesnt help..i have to explicitly place the library in the web-app's lib or the common/lib.

PROOF THAT TC DOES NOT HAVE A SEPERATE JAVA COMPILER -
while installing tomcat, java was demanded as a prerequisite ...meaning to say that tomcat depends on an external java compiler

i hope i am not asking a "dummys" question,as i am new to java too !!
but i will be happy if you people can answer me and/or point me to a nice tutorial to know "how tomcat works" rather than "how to work on tomcat".

thanks all !!
Deepak Mishra