On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:37:20 +0530, suman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Any idea wht's going wrong here. Please let me know how to start and stop
this server like we do for other daemons. e.g
/etc/init.d/httpd start
/etc/init.d/httpd stop
etc.

for starting/stopping tomcat you should try:
sudo sh /etc/init.d/tomcatX.X start (where X is the version)
sudo sh /etc/init.d/tomcatX.X stop

have you installed tomcat through synaptic/apt-get ? if you have installed it manually (by compiling) , then you need to make a startup-script for tomcat.
if you cant create the script, do reply.