Rainer Jung-3 wrote:

> What about using a different connector to use the manager webapp? It
> wouldn't be to uncommon to let customer traffic in via the AJP
> connector, and local admin traffic via the/an http connector. Since that
> one wouldn't have the tomcatAuthentication="false", it should rely on
> the defined Realm.

This opens up other problems that we do not wish to deal with.  The Apache
instance in question is on the local machine, so we would have to use a
non-standard port, which will require getting that approved by the security
team.  Also, with the number of servers we plan of deploying with this
architecture, this would become an administrative problem.  Having the
authentication infrastructure we are building pass the username from Apache
to Tomcat makes this worlds easier, so we will not have to have a separate
infrastructure for updating the Tomcat manager passwords.  When you are
talking about a dozen plus servers with a half dozen to a dozen Tomcat
containers each, with both operational staff and separate development staff
for each container needing access to the manager, managing passwords becomes
challenging.

Dracus