----- Original Message ----- From: "suman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:32 PM
Subject: How to do CGI programming in Tomcat5.5

Gi,
Can you please point me to a link where it clearly says in step by step way
how to do cgi programming with tomcat5.5 with some examples.
The Documentation of tomcat 5.5 is not that much helpful, very brief without
any examples.

Also I am unable to make cgi-servlet up. I tried the steps mentioned in
apache 5.5 documentation.
Can anyone please tell me if CGI server is must to be deployed to do CGI
programming?
If you need error messages, I'll give you.

Thank you.
-suman

If you google for Perl Tomcat... you'll get lucky...

I tried it for fun in NetBeans....

Create a new web project...

In the web.xml file add this...

   <servlet>
       <servlet-name>cgi</servlet-name>
       <servlet-class>org.apache.catalina.servlets.CGIServlet</servlet-class>
       <init-param>
         <param-name>debug</param-name>
         <param-value>0</param-value>
       </init-param>
       <init-param>
         <param-name>cgiPathPrefix</param-name>
         <param-value>WEB-INF/cgi</param-value>
       </init-param>
        <load-on-startup>5</load-on-startup>
   </servlet>

   <servlet-mapping>
      <servlet-name>cgi</servlet-name>
      <url-pattern>/cgi-bin/*</url-pattern>
   </servlet-mapping>

Under the web-inf folder create /cgi folder

Go to where Tomcat is installed...
under server/lib

find

servlets-ssi.renametojar
and
servlets-cgi.renametojar

do that make em .jar

You in business... but thats where I stopped ;)
You need to get perl and install it on the machine... I imagine it must be in the path

And find yourself some perl script...

TC help http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/cgi-howto.html
describes the same thing...

Have fun.... then get into servlets asap ;)

The only real POJO Application Server.