I'm using tomcat6. If what is written in tomcat docs is not inconsistent
then why I am not able to set an explicit context for my web application by
the following entries in myapp.xml (placed at /conf/Catalina/localhost)

<Context path="" docBase="myapp" debug="0" privileged="true" />

You have written that docbase attribute is redundant if application is
situated in <Host> appBase directory and path attribute must not be used,
but it is the path attribute, where we specify the context we want to use
for our web application. Also, it is the docbase attribute that specifies,
for which web application (present under appBase folder) will the context
apply.

I have been trying to understand how to explicitly define contexts in
tomcat, read tomcat docs and searched a lot on net but none seems to provide
me complete understanding of it.

I would like to mention here certain things in case of tomcat6 :

1. Trying to set explicit context using myapp.xml placed under
(/conf/Catalina/localhost) doesn't set the context.

2. We can also set context using server.xml but tomcat docs strongly
recommend not to se it. It says that:

"This is because it makes modifying the Context configuration more invasive
since the main conf/server.xml file cannot be reloaded without restarting
Tomcat."

But what are the drawbacks of this approach?

3. Placing context.xml in META-INF folder also doesn't set the context.

Is there any other way also to set explicit contexts? I do not want to
deploy my application twice or rename any folder.

It will be great if anyone could answer the above queries.