Chuck,

Thanks for your response.

> You really, really want to stay away from any use of odbc.

You're right, I do. odbc doesn't speak multi-value and unidata doesn't
return result sets.

> I'm confused; first you ask about JAASRealm, and then close with a comment
> about JDBCRealm.  Which is it?

If JAAS will do it then that would be great. But so far all the examples
with JAAS don't show how to just create the minimal framework for a
webapp. They're all geared for applications and hook themselves into the
server.xml requiring a restart with special security settings. Putting
the realm in my webapp's context.xml is where I want it.

I've been googling and coding by trial and error for a day now. Are
there any examples I could look at and adapt? My last attempt at JAAS
yielded deployment errors.

> And, as usual, don't make us guess the Tomcat version you're using.

I have 5.5.20, 6.0.13 and an embedded 6.0.16  in my NetBeans IDE.

Thanks again.