Matt,

If you don't find anything suggestive in the logs, try running with a debugger and put a breakpoint on the first statement in the contextInitialized method in your AppListener to try to track down why it's dying (i.e., what's causing SEVERE: Error listenerStart). Then start steppting through. You should be able to determine what the application listenters are (there may be more than one) by going to WEB-INF\web.xml and looking for the declarations <listener- class>path.to.class</listener-class>.

Ken