Does the call from the servlet produce an error in the tomcat logs?

Do you call an initializer servlet (load-on-startup) to load the log4j.properties file?

Tom

On 30/07/2008, at 12:34 AM, Denis Kezerashvili wrote:

Does anybody has any idea what might be causing the problem with Log4J? I've googled for the longest time and there are no leads I found.

Denis

----- Original Message ----
From: Denis Kezerashvili <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 9:49:08 AM
Subject: Log4J logging from server not working

I've been stuck with this problem for about a week now.
I am trying to get the Log4J working in my servlet. I have tried it on Tomcat 6.0.16 as well as Tomcat 5.5.26. I have followed all the directions in the logging section for both versions. The internal logging works fine in both cases. However, my servlet does not produce any log at all. I must be doing something incorrectly, although I have rechecked everything 100 times over. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. Are the instructions for setting up logging complete?
Here is the description of my environment:

Windows environment (have superuser access).
JDK 1.6.0_07
Log4J 1.2.15

Here is also my log4j.properties that lives in WEB-INF/classes

log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, R, stdout

# --------- #
# Appenders #
# WARNING: the %M specifier which generates the method name
# is apparently very slow.
log4j.appender.stdout.layout.conversionPattern=%d %-5p [%t] %c{5}. %M: %m%n

# New appender #

# Put the file in the tomcat instance log dir.
log4j.appender.R.File=${catalina.home}/logs/sms.log
log4j.appender.R.MaxFileSize=10MB
log4j.appender.R.MaxBackupIndex=10
log4j.appender.R.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %-5p [%t] %c{5}.%M: %m%n