hello Robert-

first looking at your present folder layout

Not under tomcats control.. /usr/share/myapp/
Not under tomcats control.. /usr/share/myapp/webapp

I would suggest reading how to configure your tomcat engine at /conf/server.xml
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/virtual-hosting-howto.html
<Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
       xmlValidation="true" xmlNamespaceAware="true">

wgere the structure for your ROOT folder would look like
$CATALINA_HOME/appBase/ROOT

and the root.war would deploy to
$CATALINA_HOME/appBase/ROOT.war

the mapping would be
path - The context path (including the leading slash)
    of the web application you are dealing with.  To select the ROOT web
    application, specify "/".

I agree with Andre that a fresh install would solve most of these
misconfiguration errors you are now seeing
HTH
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note
Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relates to the official business
of Sender. This transmission is of a confidential nature and Sender does not
endorse distribution to any party other than intended recipient. Sender does
not necessarily endorse content contained within this transmission.