It depends on how you're deploying your application.

Instead of placing an index.html file inside the ROOT folder you can put
your whole application in that folder, then it will be served as the ROOT
context.

If you're using a *.war with auto deployment just name it ROOT.war before
placing it into the webapps folder. Or, if you're using a *.war file outside
the webapps folder with a context descriptor pointing at that *.war, just
name that context descriptor ROOT.xml.

If it's unclear what I'm talking about, you probably should read
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/appdev/deployment.html.

HTH,

Stefan