On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 01:57:22PM -0500, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
> You may place the <Context> element in either location, but Tomcat
> *may* copy the one from META-INF/context.xml to conf/Catalina/[host]
> so it can access it directly.  Proper undeployment will remove the
> copy.

Is there a page somewhere which documents this?

> If you're doing a brute force replacement of a .war rather than a
> real undeployment, you deserve what you get.

Is there a page somewhere which explains how to distinguish the two cases?

> You have the option of placing the webapp's <Context> element in
> conf/Catalina/[host]/[appName].xml so that you can override the one
> packaged in the .war file - often necessary with prepackaged apps
> that might require special configuration for a particular site.

But then an undeployment (whatever that may be) will destroy my
carefully handcrafted Context, right?  This behavior has been driving
me crazy for years.  I keep /conf/Catalina/[host] full of
foo.xml.saved files so I can quickly recover when Tomcat blows foo.xml
away, seemingly at random.  Half the time, when I copy a new .war in,
the Context is destroyed; the other half, it Just Works.

Currently on Tomcat 6.0.16, but I've had this frustration with 6.0,
5.5, and I believe 5.0.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he