Mr. chuck
I am facing similar problem like Mr.Popo Sama.
In my home I installed Tomcat 6.0.18 in Windows XP and using jdk-6. I
do not have any problem. My Home machine is Pentium-IV.

But in My office similar Pentium machine and same operating system I
installed 6.0.18 and later on tried 6.0.16 and using same jdk-6. I am
not able to run the "Configure tomcat' program. I am not able to run
that executable jar 'tomcat6w'. It terminates abruptly without
starting the server. If i check the log file same error message that
Mr.Popo Soma first got is logged as given below

[  javajni.c] [error] %1 is not a valid Win32 application.
[994  prunsrv.c] [error] Failed creating java
C:\Java\jdk1.6.0_07\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll
[1269 prunsrv.c] [error] ServiceStart returned 1.

I tried installing jdk, jre, tomcat under C:\ directory directly
instead of Program Files.

But still the same error is repeating.

But if i try to run the 'tomcat6' executable jar it works. I am able
to test my jsp and servlets. but to shut down the server I have to
abort the dos program.

I am grateful if any user provide the solution for me.

--
With Regards
T.K.Thiyagarajan