----- Original Message ----- From: "Shahar Cohen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 4:15 PM
Subject: RE: tomcat 5.5 Unicode issues!

Hi,
Well I didn’t quite understand you all the way but trying to use your example lats say I have a file named Hello%20There.html when I try to access this file I get 404.
Probably because the tomcat recognize the character % as illegitimate.
So is there a way to tell tomcat that special characters like % â €™ will be parsed correctly if its not Unicode issue that what can it be?
Thanks in advanced

Shahar,

Do you see what Mark is showing you?
See what has to happen now?

What I'm saying is that who ever is wrting the files to disk like that in the first place has screwed up...

Fix that if you can...

eg

/Hello There.html

In the Url becomes

Hello%20There.html

If that is Decoded properly... and written to disk.... the file name will be

Hello There.html

But if its not decoded the file name will be..

Hello%20There.html

And now to get that in a browser it becomes...

Hello%2520There.html

and if that is wrtten back to disk... its just a cock up

To see what I'm saying open google

Type hello there as a search... and search

Then look at the URL.... see whats happening... that is called URL Encoding... its not unicode.

Just stop the file names from looking funny in the first place... thats what I'm saying.

Who wants to type
Hello%2520There.html
anywhere ;)

If it is a language thing as well then the UTF8 stuff is happening on top of URL Encoding... even if it is chinese... its still getting messed up... the decoding is wrong

When ever you see %20 and %24 and %40 in stuff... its pretty much telling you that is not decoded.

Read up on URL Encoding... its not a unicode thing... I think even if you are working with langauges... ie I'm pretty sure windows can display foreign langauges correctly and they dont have a %20 in them... is what we trying to tell you.

Have fun
The only real POJO Application Server.