----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 4:07 PM
Subject: Tomcat does not unpack WAR file (Tomcat 5.5.20)

Hi

When I drop a WAR file into the webapps folder on my dev machine - running Tomcat 6.0.16 - Tomcat unpacks it on startup.

When I do the same on the production box - running Tomcat 5.5.20 - nothing happens.

The WAR file that I am deploying is ROOT.war; there is a corresponding ROOT.xml under conf\Catalina\localhost. (I'm not sure if those details have any bearing on the problem - according to one archived post, there may be a connection.)

On both machines, the <host> tags look identical:

     <Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps"
           unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"

Any assistance would be appreciated. :)

Pete

--
Peter Cimring
Software Developer

Pete, nothing comes to mind, you seem to have the bases covered...
One possibility is that the existing ROOT web ap is busy...
Maybe a thread running or something... TC will not start up the new guy, if the old one cant let go..

possibly from the manager console /manager/html tell the old one to undeploy first maybe...

Also just make sure from you dev environment that the ROOT context path is ""
really empty and not "root" which it maybe doing... wild guess ;)

The only real POJO Application Server.