If you are starting from scratch I would not bother with JSF and don't even waste your time with Struts. Take a look at a framework called Wicket. It's a component based, event driven framework that is very easy to work with and fast to develop with. No crazy JSP tags to worry about either just plain HTML. It has a large community and a helpful mailing list. I have been very happy with it.

Hope this helps you.

Warren

Tommy Pham wrote:
Hi everyone,

This maybe out of scope for this list but I wanted to know more about Struts vs
JSF other this old article [1].  Which are are deployed mostly on your TC
server(s)/cluster(s)?  If any Java developers are on this list, which platform
API do you prefer for quick development (to meet deadline), performance,
security management (user authentication and level restriction) etc... since
both are based on MVC despite their different implementations(?).

Since there isn't a JSR for Struts, has Struts been around before JCP is
formed?  And why is there not a JSR for Struts now (just curious)?

As for JSF, which implementation is used by/for your app(s)? Sun/NetBeans?
Apache's MyFaces? or Others (please list)?  I'm somewhat disappointed Netbeans
support for JSF and Struts in that Netbeans bundled libs support used older
Apache Commons lib version (even for the current v6.1), although this could be
updated but I don't know whether it will break the integration of Netbeans'
VWP.  Even the tutorial/trails on NetBeans site regarding Struts (although this
can be compensated at Struts' web site) is very limited perhaps because of the
(biased?) Struts weak integration to favor or push more on JSF/Visual JSF?

I need to evaluate my options of API and IDE before I dedicate several projects
since the performance of Netbeans is getting worse by every release comparing
to Eclipse.  As for server, I've decided already ;)

TIA,
Tommy

[1] http://websphere.sys-con.com/node/46516

Thanks,