I am trying to write a custom MBean to put a particular function of our application under management control This application is currently deployed under Tomcat 6.0.

I do not need remote monitoring/management. Local management will do. I am perfectly happy to invoke my management function through a shell script invoking a java jmx client to perform the action required.

I find the Tomcat documentation on this subject confusing and sparse. The howto page here:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/mbeans-descriptor-howto.html

simply shows a sample configuration file without explaining which elements on it are required, which pertain to the specific example, etc.

Is there a standard syntax for these mbean descriptor files with a true explanation of each field?

Also, compared to the standard Sun JMX tutorial - which elements does Tomcat provide - server, agent ?

Thanks.