> I don't think that's true - each directory or .war file in the appBase
> directory will cause a separate application deployment, which is what I
> thought you wanted.

As you may have noted, I am not a Tomcat expert so you are probably right.
But my app logs in catalina.out when it reads its config files, and when I
made a symlink in webapps/ to the same webapp it happened just once, while
if I create more contexts blocks in server.xml it loads as many times as are
the "instances". Another evidence is that the app create a connection pool
of 10 connections to an LDAP server, and with the server just started I have
exactly 20 established connections , while I was used to only 10 with the
old "method".

1) Implement a valve or filter that catches references to the alternate URLs
> and redirects or forwards them to the primary.

I am going to study how to accomplish this. Will let you know.

> 2) Create dummy webapps for the alternate URLs that contain nothing but an
> index.html page that redirects to the primary.

This does not sound really "clean" :) I will keep it as last resort...

--
Claudio Tassini