"So, do you think Automatic windows patch
management and manual tomcat patch management would ideal as patch releases
from Tomcat is very rare?"

Yes, that's the way we do it. We use WSUS for Windows patch management, and
manually upgrade Tomcat as needed. This has not been an issue for us, as Tomcat
is only updated a few times per year, not once per month like Windows is. If
your environment is standardized enough, you could probably build your own MSI
installer for Tomcat to make the upgrade process even easier. I've not done
this, but there are inexpensive tools that you can get to help you do it.

Brian