----- Original Message ----- From: "Hassan Schroeder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 8:58 PM
Subject: Re: Migrating to tomcat 6 gives formatted currency amounts problem

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 11:16 AM, Johnny Kewl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Its generating a pound... the question is, the webapp is not dicatation the
font... so I'm asking what font is being used for the pound?

Whatever the browser picks from what it has available. :-)

He *is* introducing a font into a webapp....

No. A character, a codepoint, yes, not a font.

I tell you Wils example has confused the hell out of me... ha ha
Wil... you have caused chaos... ha ha

I'm probably using definition incorrectly.... lets just say you internationalizing on a page...so you have

So you can display multiple langauges....

Now you designing a web page... you pick Arial... you select ® (registered trade mark as a font if it doesnt come out)

And life is good....

But when that gets done for you... not from your own resource bundles, but from a locale that can be using any character point in a font.... and you dont know what the font actually is.... the charset wont even help you because how does the browser know it was Arial?

If it diplays it in MS Serif... surely its going to be wrong...

Its not really a browser problem thats bugging me... its the local "gives" you something, it varies, especially on a headless linux and you cant assume its anything....

Even worse if a chinese font has not been installed... its probably a ?....

I think one has to use &pound because Java's localization in this area is unpredicatable...

So if you do want to use the pound symbols from localization... you also have to discover the font (some how) and then you have to add that HTML to CSS code to your page....

Or maybe Java is a whole lot smarter than I'm giving it credit for and its embedding font attributed in the UTF8 or something...

I dont know... all I do know is that putting &pound in your Resource bundle is a whole lot easier...

Totally confused... but I think if Wil is internationalizing that app... its going to give him a huge head ache....

They disnt make &pound and &reg and all the rest for nothing... I think its because it is a major head ache otherwise...

... I dont know... Wils phantom font has got me... ;)
The only real POJO Application Server.