----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Cat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2008 1:13 AM
Subject: Tomcat shutdown event

Hello,

I have a servelet spawn a thread that should run until tomcat is
shutdown. The problem is, when Tomcat is shut down, the thread keeps
running.

Does Tomcat have a shutdown event that I could use to trigger the
thread destruction? If not, is there any graceful way of handling
this?

Thanks

A servlet has two overrides that you may find useful...

init
destroy

One is called at the very beginning of life and one at the end...

If the thread is active, one could poll a
mustIContinue flag... and if Destroy set that false the thread falls thru. after cleaning up... Killing threads is not a thing to do ever... idea should be for the "service" to clean up and end itself.

If its a waiting thread... then you also have to wake it up so it can get out...

Alot to do with design...

On some systems...a third party engine, like an indexer can take a long time to finish and dont expose any controls, like interrupt me now.... engines like that are a problem....

I havent experienced any problems with letting a service thread run "after tomcat", in my case it is indexing engines that may run for 2 or 3 mins after tc has said goodbye... thats ok... but it depends on what you doing....

If your "service" should be ending... its a batch... and the batch is actually completing... but TC is cleaning up nicely... thats a bug, refs holding somewhere... you got to find em ;)

Anyway dont bang it closed...
The only real POJO Application Server.