From: Bill Davidson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 6:45 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Server Maintenance Across Timezones (global)

Paul McGurn wrote:
> Segregate, geographically, your customer base's target infrastructure.  The
> way they do this is by tying their customers to a specific "cluster" of their
> cloud, and then everything that customer does in the application is tied back
> to that "cluster".  The layer of redundancy (on top of being a cluster of
> course), is having a hot failover infrastructure that is synched with the
> production infrastructure at whatever feasible cycle works for the amount of
> data.
>
> By doing this, they can then schedule maintenance windows geographically, to
> ensure that impact is low no matter where the customer is.

Indeed.

> In your case, this would likely require some effort in architecting the data
> storage part of things to be partition-able to some extent, but this would
> really be maintaining what would be the effect of multiple
> datacenters/clusters/clouds.

The main difficulty with this is consistency.  Many parts of our data are
tagged with dynamically generated id's (order id's for example) that
are printed out and referenced by our customers, and even their customers.
Running on multiple databases allows for the possibility (at this
point certainty) of generating duplicate ids across different regions.
This could result in a lot of confusion, particularly for support calls.
We may need to learn to live with that but I still am not crazy about it.

This may be the only reasonable way to do this without completely
re-architecting our app (which is not really doable any time soon).