>> If I remember well the <security-role-ref> just creates an alias on an
>> existing <security-role> for servlets.
>> It's not related to the mapping between my "system" groups and the
>> application roles.
>
> O.k., I'm confused.  Isn't an alias just what you need to do the mapping from
> any role names used internally in your webapp to the roles (groups) obtained
> from the LDAP server?

Yes an alias is what I need :-)
But <security-role-ref> is not done for that (unless I missed something).
Quoting: http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Servlets/servletapi2.3/

 <servlet>
    <servlet-name>
        secret
    </servlet-name>
    <security-role-ref>
        <role-name>
            mgr <!-- name used by servlet -->
        </role-name>
        <role-link>
            manager <!-- name used in deployment descriptor -->
        </role-link>
    </security-role-ref>
</servlet>

<security-role>
    <role-name>
        manager
    </role-name>
</security-role>

the servlet secret can call isUserInRole("mgr") or
isUserInRole("manager") -- they will give the same behavior.
Basically, security-role-ref acts to create an alias, but isn't
necessary.

What I am looking for is more a security role mapping descriptor or
configuration.
Like one can do in SunAS:

<security-role-mapping>
    <role-name>myapprole</role-name>