Von: Johnny Kewl [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gesendet: Montag, 22. September 2008 15:02
An: Tomcat Users List
Betreff: Re: [OT] RE: HTTPS and Virtual Hosts

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Crowther" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Tomcat Users List'" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2008 2:30 PM
Subject: [OT] RE: HTTPS and Virtual Hosts

[Marked OT as this is not even remotely about Tomcat]

> From: Johnny Kewl [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257591

... OK...

> If it send the HOST info in step one....

... which it doesn't as far as I can see...

> and the server chose the correct
> cert.... I see no problem, the secure session hasnt even
> kicked in yet ;)

Yes, exactly.  So anything sent across the wire (such as the host header) is

subject to eavesdropping.

The URL, in particular, MUST NOT be sent in cleartext - consider a URL of
the form
https://www.innocentsite.com/myphotos/notsoinnocent/llamapr0n372.jpg *.  The

user would no doubt expect SSL to defend his/her access to that URL from
eavesdropping :-).

The case for not sending the host header in cleartext is weaker, but still
present.  Consider a blog site such as LiveJournal, for example.  It hosts a

range of content, separated onto one hostname per blog.  Some of that
content is pretty explicit, and some people might get rather upset if they
knew that *even though they thought they were on a secure channel* then
others could eavesdrop on the mere fact that they were reading *that*
content, rather than some other innocent content that happened to be on the
same IP.  So I consider that the ID vul is still present, even via
disclosure of just the host header.

> If not what is the vulnerability? Whatever cert is sent what
> oput there by
> the admin dudes, and will be checked client side anyway ;)

You're thinking about ID vuls from the side of the server admin.  Broaden
your thinking - what might a *client* get upset about?

                - Peter

Ok... its off thread, but I disagree.... the secure session doesnt start out

secure... even a certificate is clear text, dont see the big deal... once
you in a session, different story...
I guess this means you not going to help me with my new book ;)
    Curve Ball technology for biz sake... ha ha

The only real POJO Application Server.