----- Original Message ----- From: "Chad Kellerman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2008 4:39 PM
Subject: Tomcat JVM not releasing deleted files (lsof show delete inodes taking up disk space)

Tomcat Users,

Just wondering if anyone else has run into this problem.

First let's get the specifics out of the way:

Tomcat: 5.5.25
Java:  Sun JDK 1.5.0_13
Linux RHEL 5

The Tomcat server is situated on it's own file system, with the applications
on another.  I got a page this weekend, saying that the disk space was at
95% on the application file system.  Yet when I did a 'du' on the
directories, it only showed about 4% used. But when I did a lsof I saw the
rest of the used files in a "(deleted)" state.  I tried a 'sync' to see if
that would write the changes to disk, but the files were still listed as
"deleted" and the disk space (df) was still at 95%.  I had to resort to
restarting the tomcat server.  Everything freed up and the disk usage was
back to normal.  To get a better understanding... the application indexes
uploaded files, the indexing process creates the temporary files then
removes them.

I am wondering if anyone has seen this before (on Tomcat, I've seen this
with databases where the only this to do is restart the server, but never
with Tomcat) and what they have done to help alleviate the issue.

Thanks,
-- sunckell

Chad, not sure my linux is really stale now, but I think you have answered it... the code is not releasing the file. Something like you up load the file, start the index in a thread, it deletes the file, but the thread is still holding a ref to the original file handle... the app is holding the file open somewhere. If you have a windows dev box around, get someone to run it from there... XP gets really upset if that happens and you'll probably find it.

You disk usage is skew because linux is reporting that space available... but it cant let the file go, because something in the code is hanging on.

... I think... hope its your code ;)

The only real POJO Application Server.