2008/9/30 Bai Shen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Okay, if I keep this up I'll be able to fit both feet in my mouth.
>
> Apparently setclasspath.bat does see the variables set in setenv.bat  It was
> my troubleshooting method that was faulty.
>
> Basically, the problem boils down to the fact that right after
> setclasspath.bat is call, there's the following line in catalina.bat
>
> if errorlevel 1 goto end
>
> That's the last line I see before everthing stops. I had assumed there was a
> problem with the setclasspath.bat file, but the last line from that is goto
> end, which AFAIK, skips over the exit /b 1
>
> So for some reason, on Windows 2000 and 2003 Server only, Tomcat won't
> start.  I get no error at all.  I had to remove the echo off statements to
> see that it was stopping after setclasspath.bat
>
> Hopefully this will be the last of me sticking my foot in my mouth. :)
>
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 1:37 PM, Bai Shen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Okay, I feel silly now.  I jus realized that XP returns Windows_NT from the
>> OS variable.  And my Tomcat install works fine in XP.  So it's apparently
>> something besides the setlocal.  Which leaves me back at square one.  :(
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

>> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Bai Shen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> I use setenv.bat to point tomcat to my JRE and set some other options.
>>> However, when running on an OS that returns Windows_NT from the OS
>>> environment variable, Tomcat sets all of the batch files to setlocal.
>>> Therefore, when setclasspath.bat is run, it doesn't see any of the variables
>>> that were set by setenv.bat  Now I know I could set them globally for the
>>> machine or user, but I'd rather not do that.  I also don't want to edit the
>>> tomcat bat files to turn off the setlocal commands.
>>>
>>> Speaking of which, does anyone know what the reasoning behind the setlocal
>>> is in the first place?
>>>
>>> Any advice would be appreciated.  TIA.

You should mention what tomcat version you are trying to use.

If it is not the latest one, try *.bat files from the latest version.

I reckon that I once stumbled into misbehaving bat files, that
were also complaining about some wrong goto. I fixed them in couple
of minutes by adding some blank lines or removing trailing spaces --
I do not remember how exactly, and what were those files, and I do
not see any remnants lying around.

I suggest you to set "echo on" in all those bat files and
capture their output in a file. Maybe there are some oddities
there, like too many quotes, backslashes, expanded variables.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko