Hey all,

                Just noticed some odd behavior in tomcat today, one of
our admins setup a new folder on a context as follows:

/seasonpass/index.jsf

/seasonpass/index.jsp

He did not touch the web.xml file and yet the /seasonpass/ folder works
as expected!? Without altering the security-constraints in web.xml.

The idea is that index.jsp is our welcome file and would forward the
user automagically (a technical term) to the /index.jsf file in the
seasonpass folder if the user simply went to www.myurl.com/seasonpass/.
However, we have no mention of the /seasonpass/ directory in our "Not
Secured Pages" security-constraint elements... so I think what's
happening is the fact that our welcome-file is the index.jsp is
automatically allowed wherever it appears... Is this a security hole or
is this intended?

Relevant Copy from web.xml

<!-- Welcome files -->

      <welcome-file-list>

            <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>

      </welcome-file-list>

<security-constraint>

    <display-name>Not secured Pages</display-name>

    <web-resource-collection>

        <web-resource-name>Welcome pages</web-resource-name>

   <bunch of stuff not pertaining to the /seasonpass/ directory></blah>

   </web-resource-collection>

</security-constraint>

Rob

Web Developer/Site Administrator