Brantley Hobbs wrote:

Darryl Pentz wrote:
I have an issue where webapp A needs to let webapp B know about an event, and then return a response to webapp B's processing of that event to the browser. So basically I need to communicate between webapps in the same container.

Since Daryl seems to be satisfied with the answers he got, can I now hijack this thread to get back to the original question, precisely ?
I am interested in the answer for a personal project.

We are thus talking about communicating between different webapps, but within the same Tomcat container. No future scalability issue envisioned nor desired. I assume that the webapps run within the same instance of Tomcat, possibly though within distinct <Host>, if it makes a difference. I am not looking for a precise answer (which I would probably not understand anyway), just for general guidelines about where, at which level, it might be possible to implement some kind of inter-webapp communication scheme.
I am thinking about the following hierarchy :
<Server>
   <Service>
      <Engine>
        <Host>
           <webapp-A />
           <webapp-B />
      </Host>
    </Engine>
  </Service>
</Server>

or this

<Server>
   <Service>
      <Engine>
        <Host-1>
           <webapp-A />
      </Host-1>
      <Host-2>
           <webapp-B />
      </Host-2>
    </Engine>
  </Service>
</Server>

and I want to exchange information (not just a signal) between webapp-A and webapp-B, efficiently and reliably. Does what I write above make sense ? is this allowed/feasible ? how hard is it ? where ? Could one for instance realise this in the form of a <Connector>, which appears to live at a level common to all Hosts ?