Is port 8080 open? I just went through this and had to use the fedora system config firewall script to open it.

Tim

steve kirby wrote:
Hi,

I had been building web products on a different Linux server, but that crashed,
so I need to get apache tomcat going on a new Linux server.........

I'm trying to run apache-tomcat-5.5.15. I have JAVA_HOME and CATALINA_HOME set.
 I do startup.sh and the catalina.out log file indicates success on server
startup.

But when I put in the URL, http://localhost:8080 or
http://localhost:8080/index.jsp , or even when I put in the actual system IP
for localhost, it spins for a while, but does not show the Tomcat success web
page.  And nothing is written to the tomcat logs to indicate a problem.  I
checked server.xml and it is using 8080 for the Connector port.  This is a
linux system (I think Fedora 9).  I'm using this for java:
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0/. The browser is IE7.

Any ideas anybody might have would be welcome.

Best,
Steve