Hi,

My application has an ajax layer which asynchronously polls my tomcat server.
When the session for the user is destroyed, the next request causes a forward
to the login jsp defined for the form realm.

On the login jsp I would like to output an error message like "Your session has
been timed out".  Currently I've setup my ajax to detect a poll which returned
a session timed out error, I then post a form with error=session.timeout to the
url.

The way the realm typically works is that you request a url say /hello.jsp, the
app detects you need authenticate so it saves the original request and forwards
you over to the login.jsp.  You fill in the fields, the auth recoignizes you,
restores your original request and forwards you to hello.jsp.

Now in my case, the session times out, the client code detects the timeout and
posts to /myapp.  The problem is that that auth then removes the post parameter
but I need that to display the error message.

If I change the code to post to login.jsp then the post parameter shows up but
the form authetication does work as it doesn't know where to take me once I
click login as the original request specified the login page.

Any ideas?

I've tried using a query string and that works but then I end up with the query
string being displayed from that point forward on the address bar of the
browser.  I'd like to avoid that hence the post.

Thank you,

Fu-Tung