No, I don't want SSL enabled. I want Tomcat to NOT do SSL, but I want it
to report to my application that SSL is being used.
So you want quality software to lie to you? It would be a bug if Tomcat said it was secure when it's not, and it sounds pretty goofy to want it.

The deal is that I want to be able to have a localhost-only <Connector>
that appears to be secure, but isn't actually using SSL so I can avoid
the SSL performance hit.
So use HTTP. "Appearing" secure buys you nothing other than fooling yourself. You are not telling us something because such a spec makes no sense. Your app can assume anything it wants (boolean isSecure = true; int one = 2;).

David