Hello all,

Be kind, this is my first mailing to the usergroup.

 I am implementing a webserver for a group use, where most of the group will
be creating web pages with php and jsp connections.

 This server is running Ubuntu Gutsy (7.10) and may be updated to Hardy
shortly.   In the mean time, currently I'm running apache/2.2.4   with the
mod_user module enabled, and people in the group using public_html
directories to serve their web pages.

I have come to expect that not many in the group will be utilizing jsp as
the scripting language of choice, but would like it to be available, thus I
am trying to implement tomcat and a connector with jk_mod to apache.

I have successfully setup Tomcat (version 6.0.18) with Java 1.6.0_03
(Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_03-b05)), and I have
downloaded the mod_jk-1.2.23-apache-2.2.x-linux-i686.so module and symlinked
/usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_jk.so to that file.

BTW: I have also setup the user webapp access successfully and can connect
to http://localhost:8090/~username/webapp.jsp

I planned to use this HowTo to get mod_jk configured in Tomcat and Apache,
but am seeing different references and believe this article might be a few
versions behind:
http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/generic_howto/quick.html

This section:

Here is the minimum which should be set in httpd.conf directly or included
from another file:

# Load mod_jk module
# Update this path to match your modules location
LoadModule    jk_module  libexec/mod_jk.so
# Declare the module for <IfModule directive> (remove this line on Apache
2.x)
AddModule     mod_jk.c
# Where to find workers.properties
# Update this path to match your conf directory location (put
workers.properties next to httpd.con$
JkWorkersFile /etc/httpd/conf/workers.properties
# Where to put jk shared memory
# Update this path to match your local state directory or logs directory
JkShmFile     /var/log/httpd/mod_jk.shm
# Where to put jk logs
# Update this path to match your logs directory location (put mod_jk.log
next to access_log)
JkLogFile     /var/log/httpd/mod_jk.log
# Set the jk log level [debug/error/info]
JkLogLevel    info
# Select the timestamp log format
# Send everything for context /examples to worker named worker1 (ajp13)
JkMount  /examples/* worker1

I believe there should be some changes to these instructions, and I would
ask that someone with more knowledge than me give me validation and any
pointers to ensuring that this works as planned.

I am creating a file called /etc/apache2/conf.d/mod_jk.conf that contains
the above information with the alterations as follows:
change libexec/mod_jk.so to /usr/lib/apache2/mod_jk.so
comment out the AddModule mod_jk.c line
repace all instances of httpd with apache2
and point the JkWorkersFile to /etc/apache2/conf.d/workers.properties

Does this make sense?

Also,  I've interpreted from
http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/generic_howto/workers.html
that the workers.properties file should be in $CATALINA_HOME/conf/      is
this not correct?

Is there anything else that needs to be done, other than restarting apache2
and tomcat?

I attempted these changes and stopped tomcat and apache, then started apache
and got the following error:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 start
* Starting web server apache2
                                                                    Syntax
error on line 2 of /etc/apache2/conf.d/workers.properties:
Invalid command 'worker.list=worker1', perhaps misspelled or defined by a
  [fail]
 I've looked at the log and no jk log is being created, and the error log
doesn't have anything after stopping the apache daemon.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks!